Business owners can learn how to choose online credit card processor in a few simple steps. Secure transactions and low costs are the primary concerns of selecting an online credit card processor. Of course, there are other criteria to consider, but these criteria seem to be at the forefront of every business owners mind.
1. Ensure Transactions are Secure. Transactions should be secured by at least 256-bit SSL technology. Secure technology will encrypt credit card data as it is transferred over the Internet. When the transaction is complete, the data is restored to its original state and processed.
2. Ask About Fees. Most companies charge a percentage of the total sale and also a flat-rate per-transaction fee. Often, these prices are negotiable. Consult with a representative to find the best rates available.
3. Identify Hidden Fees. Hidden fees and service fees are often charged by companies. Determine if there is a service fee included in the transaction charges.
4. Determine the Gateway Fee or Monthly Fee. Determine the monthly fee required for access to the gateway. If you know the fees upfront, you can budget your expenses.
5. Determine the Monthly Minimum. Most companies have a minimum sum of money that must be processed by the gateway. Ask the company you are considering about minimum monthly requirements.
6. Be Aware of Varying Transaction Rates. Transaction rates often vary by type of transaction. For instance, customers may receive a good deal when swiping credit cards, but the deal on swiping debit cards may not be as good. Always ask up front to avoid unexpected bills and surprises.
7. Ask About Contracts and Cancellation Fees. Experts advise against accepting contracts longer than a year. Ask online credit card processors to determine the length of the contract and cancellation fees.
8. Always Check a Merchant’s Reputation through Government or Consumer Groups. The Better Business Bureau or Federal Trade Commission are excellent places to begin an investigation. Any negative reports should be investigated prior to purchasing the service.
Use these simple assessment tools to determine if online merchant will improve your business’s productivity and flexibility. Integrated Card Service meets these criteria and is recommended to business owners everywhere.